Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Very Naked Pride


It is Pride Week and I am allowing myself to become immersed in it for the first time in many years. I believe part of the reason for this is my increased commitment to the normalization of public nudity. It occurred to me that there is a certain territorialism involved with being naked in public on a daily, routine basis. By doing so, I am saying that I am part of this community and I have a right to be seen, to make my presence known and felt. I have come to realize that those who express displeasure at my naked body, either vocally or through more subtle body language, are exactly the ones who my message of claiming space, of territorialism,  is meant for. In other words, the only people I am pissing off are the exact ones I believe need pissing off!

With Pride approaching and the LGBT Film Festival occurring this week, many out-of-towners are here along with the usual number of tourists. The weather has been favorable and I have seen my claiming of space, of normalizing public nudity as a way to not only celebrate my pride in my body and the freedoms I am privileged to possess here In San Francisco, but also as a way to deliver my message to a wider Queer audience. To my pleasure, I have met one man from out of town who joined in the celebration of public naked pride. I also met another young man who told me he wanted to "get naked at Pride." I challenged him by asking why wait, why not just do it now. I am happy to report, it did not take much convincing and soon we were both happily running around the neighborhood naked. I sense he and I have the potential to become friends.

Happy Pride to everyone. Remember, Pride happens everyday, not just LGBTQ Pride or Queer Pride, but Body Pride, and Pride in yourself. Naked Hugs!



4 comments:

Roger Poladopoulos said...

Great post! Thank you for sharing your philosophy: it serves us all well! :)

Unknown said...

You are right on Woody. Our future is in the hands of the young. Glad you encourage to just go and get naked now. He is over the hurdle and will love the lifestyle of clothes free.

Stephen said...

Great photo - nudity should unite men of all ages!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. How you team up with a young male nudist.....That how I got started in my gay nudist adventures....